Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Juror number 5289? Here.
For the past two days I have been serving my civic duty. The first day wasn't too bad. It went by quicker than I expected. I made friends with a few women sitting next to me. It was a little weird at first because most of them were old enough to be my mom. But somehow I got along with them well. We went to lunch at Japanese Village. While walking there, I talked to another potential juror who was trying to find a place to eat. I got along better with her because she was only a couple years older than me. After lunch, I got called into a case and stayed in the courtroom for the rest of the day. I had to come back the next day. I was so mad, but I wasn't too mad because overall it was a good day.
After getting home, I went to hang out with Megan and Bryan at the Grove. We ate, watched the water fountain show, and took "Who's Your TV Alter Ego" quizzes at Barnes & Noble.


Bryan knocked the whipped cream off my fork... and then I ATE IT! Just kidding.


This picture is just really funny to me. Aah, those fountains.


It was a long yet eventful day, and I knocked out when I got home.
I went back to jury duty today. And as my luck would have it, I got picked to serve on the jury. I got sworn in and everything. We took our lunch break, and I sat in the cafeteria, thinking about having to serve on a jury. I was a little mad, but the more I thought about it, it wasn't that bad. The trial was only for a couple days. I would only be in court for four hours, and I got a two hour lunch break. I was going to use that two hours to gallivant around and explore the city. I thought about the places I wanted to visit, like the Walt Disney Concert Hall, the MOCA, and the cathedral. I started getting really excited about it. When I got back to the courtroom, one of the jurors was missing. The judge sent us outside the courtroom to wait for him. He came 45 minutes late. When we got back inside, the judge said that she had to call for a mistrial, and all of the jurors were excused. I was a little sad that I wouldn't get to explore LA, but I was happy that I didn't have to serve anymore.
I wasn't sure what a mistrial was so I looked it up.
According to Wikipedia:

"A judge may cancel a trial prior to the return of a verdict; legal parlance designates this as a mistrial.

A judge may declare a mistrial due to:

  • The court determining that it lacks jurisdiction over a case,
  • Evidence being admitted improperly,
  • Misconduct by a party, juror, or an outside actor, if it prevents due process,
  • A hung jury, which cannot reach a verdict with the required degree of unanimity
  • Disqualification of a juror after the jury is impaneled, if no alternate juror is available and the litigants do not agree to proceed with the remaining jurors.

A declaration of a mistrial generally means that the court must hold a retrial on the same subject."

We were dismissed because of reason number 3. And so ends my service, at least for one year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uhh.... aren't you not supposed to talk about your jury duty stuffs??